This article should be required reading for understanding the new marketing environment. Any company which does not have a strategy for:
- Integrated content creation and re-use infrstructure
- A porous knowledge management structure (because without allowing itself to be refreshed and regenerated knowledge becomes old too fast...)
- CRM's that record all interactions with client's allowing a conversation to develop
- Distributed content creation (staff, managers, clients)
- Plans to engage content creators in the new media space
- An understanding that the game in communications has shifted from the precision of the 'mass media' 'set piece' to 'open-ended' and 'fallible' - yet self-correcting - 'conversations'.
The critical point might be summed up by this quote: [mainstream media] “don't get how subversive it is to take institutions and turn them into conversations”. That could apply just as well to financial services marketing.