As it is getting much colder remember to stay safe this winter - ACC released some numbers from the last year of claims made to winter-related injuries.
In 2014 ACC paid thousands of claims relating to winter activities including burns from heaters and fireplaces, skiing injuries, chopping and stacking firewood injuries to name a few.
Here is a list of the number of claims and amount paid:
- Slips on ice (not including those while playing sport): 925 claims, costing$1,381,775
- Skiing: 7608; $13,488,971
- Snowboarding: 5897; $6,923,364
- Ice skating: 1587; $1,667,974
- Curling: 31; $31,222
- Chopping and stacking firewood: 7242; $6,683,786
- Scarves: 21; $9,172
- Hypothermia: 18; $26,129
- Frostbite: 6; $10,951
- Burns on heaters or fireplaces: 874; $380,942
Click here to read the full article on Stuff.